I just thought I would put that disclaimer up front so those of you who aren't really interested in anything other than Riley, you can just skip this post.
-
So onto the purpose of this post. Since the beginning of November and really earlier than that I have been trying to eat healthy and I have thought seriously about working out. On both counts I have failed miserably. OK so maybe I am eating a little bit healthier. Russell and I aren't eating fast food as much as we used to and I am cooking more, but those stinking sweets get me every time. I have such a sweet tooth. As far as the working out goes, thinking about it is as far as I get. If I could lose weight and become fit just by thinking about working out, man I would be super skinny and buff. I guess I can always wish, but once again that is not going to get me where I want to be.
-
So I guess what I am wondering through all of my babbling is how do you motivate yourself to workout. I have never been an avid worker-outer. I don't mind sweating, I just find other more fun things to do with my time. If you missed the last sentence then let me put it this way, how do I make working out fun.

Do I need to purchase some really nasty leotards? Do you think that will help? If anyone out there has any bright ideas let me know. I would love to give anything a try.
5 comments:
I don't know if I'd go the leotard route (though I can think of several interesting camper-staff games involving the former L. Legler that make me giggle...and your brother in tights too), but you could save it as a last resort. I hate working out, so I don't. What's worked for me is getting out "for Owen" but making me work in the process. If there is a park within 2 miles, you can take Riley to the park. You might only swing him for 15 minutes before you head home, but by the time you get back, you're done for the day. If you go with a friend, it's even better. That's my 2 cents. But if you do decide on the leotard route, please post pictures. If Sparky decides on the leotard route, please don't. :)
Hey, I really like working out right now. I used to hate running all together but I just needed a little motivation and somewhere VERY convenient to go. There is a track close to my house so I like running there. I have gone to the gym lately and the treadmill is not that much fun for me but it does mean I get to watch tv :) You really just need to try many different things and different places and see what you like. It works for me to work out close to meal time so when I get done working out, I don't want to ruin it by eating something bad. My 2 cents ... can't wait to see you!
1) Watching Biggest Loser! Sometimes I think, "I am not a runner" or "I don't need to lift weights". This show will inspire you!
2) I tend to get lost in a weight room, so I like to find a class at a gym that I like. Having a great teacher is also part of it. Then when you get into a routine of going to that class, you will get to know the people in the class and have some mutual encouragement.
3) Splurge and hire a personal trainer, even if just for one session. I actually did this last week (trying to lose a bit of weight myself), and it was SO helpful! I am thinking of having a session with him every few months, just to keep me motivated and improving.
Just some thoughts. :)
I don't think of exercise as "working out". I try to live an active lifestyle. If I have an option to walk or ride somewhere, I walk. I try to walk a mile or two every other day. I kind of make a game of it in our neighborhood and either play the "which house do I like game" or I look at their landscaping, the dogs, and sometimes I try to get lost so I can discover something new. Ty and I feel that house chores can wait. If I have to pause my day to go outside and invest in myself it is worth it. You can push Riley in a stroller, too. I always take our dog Rainer. He helps me up the big hills. I also like going to the gym, but I haven't been this semester because I feel weird being pregnant around my students. It is awesome to go and watch TV while I am on the treadmill, but my neighborhood is free and so are parks. I hope that helps.
hey sarah!
what i've found that helps me tremendously is having a friend/work-out partner. someone who will hold you to working out! i've tried it with ryan, but we always talk each other out of going, so it needs to be someone outside the family (i think, anyway). decide set times for the week to work out, and hold each other to it (key)!
another thing that helps, is if you are training for something. doesn't have to be a run. i know of several fun run/walks that are doable! even if you signed up for a run, you could always walk through all or part of it! or, if you're into biking or think you'd enjoy it, i'm sure there's a race out there for ya. the dallas area should have all kinds of opportunities for events like that! and you'll probably be supporting a great cause!
one more, i know it costs, but that's part of the motivation. if you sign up to join a gym, you might feel obligated to go since you're paying some said amount for the membership. (same idea works for the event training) i, personally, enjoy exercising outdoors, but it works for some!
anyway, hope your little family is doing great!! i just thought i'd put my 2 or 3 cents in. GOOD LUCK!!
Post a Comment