About 10 to 12 weeks ago Sarah and I went to the doctor for just the normal fun doctors appointment. You know the one I'm talking about, where you show up, sit in the waiting room for a good 30-45 minutes, then get called back and Sarah gets weighed and has her blood pressure checked, told the doctor will be "Right in", and then wait another 20 minutes to spend a solid 2-4 minutes with the doctor. (On a side note, can't they put a TV in the exam room so that me and Sarah have something to do besides just stare at each other for 20 minutes.) Anyways, during our 2-4 minutes with the doctor, she asked Sarah if she had felt the baby move yet. The answer was no. The doctor said not to worry, and that it would happen very soon. I was for some strange reason very excited about this. I suppose that with movement, this would signify to me that we were having a healthy baby. So for several days after this visit I would ask Sarah if the baby had moved yet. And every day I would get a no. And every day I would be disappointed. I guess I realized that when that day came Sarah would tell me, so I stopped asking. I got a call from Sarah at school one day, and she excitedly told me "The baby moved! I felt the baby move!" My response, "You sure it wasn't gas?" I felt it was a logical question. I learned the hard way that excess gas was a very real side effect of pregnancy. Sarah assured me that it was not gas, and I felt very happy that my baby boy was alive and kicking, literally. It took a couple of weeks until I was able to feel him move around, but was pretty cool when I could. All this brings me to last night. Sarah had been telling me that he was having some big kicks, and I hadn't been able to feel them yet. Well, I guess he was in a big kicking mood, because I felt him a lot last night. And this morning before we got out of bed. It is so amazing how much you can feel that little 4 pound ball moving around inside her belly. Aside from the seeing the sonograms, this has been the coolest part about being a future daddy.
That could all change this weekend though. Sarah has her baby shower this Saturday, and depending on the bounty she brings home, the whole baby shower idea may prove to be my favorite part. I will let you know how it goes on Saturday. Sorry there are no pictures with this post, but none have been taken in the past couple of days. Hopefully Sarah will get some of her shower and I can post them this weekend. Until then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That is great! I just hope he lets her sleep at night in the coming weeks instead of kicking all night long like our little one did! David would ask me what it felt like, and I would jab him in the stomach with my elbow really hard and reply "like that, except from the inside." Be warned not to ask that question. :)
i want to see pics from the shower!! (because they are super cute and i want to steal them for myself!!)
It is ironic that I'm reading your post today and just last night Jeremy felt our boy kick while we were laying in bed. He's asked me many times what it feels like. I think I'm going to use Jodi's idea and elbow him in the stomach.
I still will stop sometimes and just remember how it felt like to feel each of them stretch and kick and hiccup. Very precious (and sometimes stretching) times! I love that both of y'all post. Gives a very balanced coverage of this time in your life.
Post a Comment