Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Road Trippin' and Picture Takin'

For not yet being 4 weeks old, Riley has been a busy little boy. He told me earlier this week that he was getting a little bored being stuck at home with just me and his mommy, so we talked about something we could do. We settled on taking a little trip to East Texas. We spent a couple of days seeing friends and family, and Riley got to put some faces with names he had heard. We started our trip by heading to Gilmer so that Riley could meet Great Grandparents. It was about a 2 and a half hour drive which Riley handled very well. Once there, he was a little hungry, so he didn't put on a very good show for Mimi initially. But after he got a full belly he was much more willing to talk, or sleep.
Sarah's sister Rebekah was spending the week in Gilmer while shuttling Caleb and Hannah to Camp for day camp. And since we were there, Luke and Katie brought Norah over so that all of the cousins were able to hang out together.
Hannah loves to hold Cousin Riley.
On Wednesday night Sarah took Riley over to her parents house for a few minutes and Granny got to spend some time with newest great grandson.
On Wednesday, after spending a few hours in Gilmer, our family of three made our way to my parents house in Tyler. This was the first time that my parents had a grandchild at their house, and it was unlike anything I have ever seen. There were Snickers, Reese's, Starbursts, and M&M's in our room. There was ice cream in the freezer WITH, not Hersey's syrup, but real hot fudge. There were freshly made molasses cookies. For breakfast on Thursday mom made chocolate chip muffins. Where did all of this come from? We VERY rarely had this stuff in the house when I was growing up. And even then it would only be one of these. Now, I realize that none of this was done for Sarah or I. In fact, my parents, especially my mom, have made no secret about how they plan to spoil Riley. But I think she forgot one thing...Riley is 25 days old. He only likes to partake in milk from Mommy. Nothing else. So if this is the start to the spoiling, I think me and Sarah are in for some big time trouble after Riley spends a week with his grandparents. But there is no doubt he will have a great time every time he goes and visits them.
Riley spent two nights in the very same crib that I slept in when I was a baby. It was made by my Great Grandad. Funny story to go along with it. He made it before my parents were to get married, and wanted to give it to them as a wedding present. But I think somebody told him that may not be the correct time to give a baby crib to somebody.
I was really excited for my favorite member of my parents house to meet Riley. That's right, Wally the dog. He was fascinated with Riley. He tried to get as close as he could to anyone who was holding Riley. I decided Wally deserved a formal introduction, so I sat on the floor and let Wally get a good sniff of Riley. I imagine a year from now Wally may not want anything to do with Riley. But I hope they become best friends.
Riley knew that July 4th was a very important day, and wanted to prove he wasn't a communist, so he went out and bought this patriotic outfit to wear. He wasn't in the mood for picture taking though.
For the 4th my grandparents Louie and Marolyn as well as my Uncle Dayne, Aunt Martha, and Cousin Mason made the trip to my parents house for a celebration. We had hotdogs and brownies and had a good time. Here is Grandma with Riley, where he slept for a very long time.
We came back from Tyler last night to prepare for Riley's professional photography debut. The great Debbie Riggs, along with her equally great assistant Mark were in town and just dying to take Riley's baby pictures. You may know Debbie's work from events such as "Russell and Sarah's Engagement Pictures", "Russell and Sarah's Wedding", as well as "Sarah's Maternity Pictures with Russell". Obviously we are fans of her work. I have a feeling that "Riley's Baby Pictures" may be some of her best work yet.
Riley was absolutely perfect all day. Other than when he gave Mark an up-close look at what he had for breakfast, he had zero problems. He was wide awake for his indoor morning session, and quietly asleep for his outside afternoon session. I don't remember him crying once. I think after Riley's session, his photographers were big fans of his.
It was a great few days for our family. We were busy, but got to see lots of family and friends. Riley was great for all to see, but I think he is glad to be home. We are excited to hang out at home for a little while, but ready to see what new things Riley will experience next.



5 comments:

Jodi said...

I just love all your comments on Riley's exciting life. He is quite the busy little traveler! :)

Emily said...

Found your blog today! Congratulations...Riley is precious!!

The Pruetts said...

Can Tami and I bring Kate to your mom's house? How would she like a second grand child? I love hot fudge and muffins, but not together of course.

-zp

Lindsay said...

Ahhhh, nothing says "Welcome to the world around you" like a dog licking you on the face (j/k). Hope yall are doing well. Been at church? We will have to catch you once we are back in the regular building.

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Oh, he is so sweet, and y'all are doing so good on the posting regularly! And, yes, things change at your parents' homes when grandchildren come. I never thought I would have to tell my father not to follow up a bag of popcorn immediately with a fudgcicle just before bed, but I did. But at least we all get to enjoy these perks now, too! Y'all take care!